Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Character Quality of the Week

Webster's definition of Hardworking is, "using a lot of time and energy to do work".

That is a very simple definition for such a meaningful word. I believe it is one of the most important qualities that we will discuss. Hardwork is more than just earning your way to successes and victories; it's the journey of getting there, no matter how long it takes. Laziness and complacency will not help you achieve your goals. What you put in, is what you will get out.

As a distance swimmer, I remember finishing an 8,000 yd workout feeling absolutely exhausted afterward yet so euphoric. I gained more than just physical endurance and strength…I gained character. Those types of workouts gave me the confidence to complete the 1000 yd freestyle, 200 yd fly and 500 yd freestyle in a two hour time frame during my college dual meets. In return, I contributed points to our team score. Even if I didn't get the personal best time that I wanted (long term goal), I was helping put my team in a position to win the meet (short term goal).

Whatever your task is, big or small, put your whole heart and soul into it. I promise you will be rewarded. Sometimes it may not be in the way you want it to be, but it will strengthen your character and give you hope.

"Ability will get you there, but character will keep you there."

Coach Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment